1. Why was the transmittal of the memory of snow so exhausting to the old man? What does this reveal about the community?
2. What two lessons did Jonas learn about the sun?
3. Why did the Giver appear a little sad at the end of the first day of training?
4. What do you think is the most severe pain?
5. How did Jonas’s relationship with his parents and friends change after he received his Life Assignment?
6. How did The Giver explain the visual phenomena that Jonas witnessed? What did this reveal about the community?
7. Why did the community give up the ability to see colour?
8. Why was it important for the community to have a person who could “see beyond”?
9. Why did Jonas refer to Gabe as his little brother?
10. Why was The Giver bitter about the Council of Elders?
11. What do you think the Giver will transmit to Jonas to give him his first real impression of pain?
12. How was Jonas’s second experience with snow unlike the first?
13. According to The Giver, why did Jonas have to receive and store memories of pain?